Our Vision, Mission and Core Values
We envision an inclusive society where assistive and accessible mainstream technologies and universally designed products and services have levelled differences between people in terms of access to opportunities to live the lives they desire.
AAATE wants to be an active player and interdisciplinary collaborative platform uniting organisations and individuals that want to collaborate in making that vision come true.
Our mission is to foster the role of Αssistive Τechnology (ΑΤ) and inclusive design to create a world where all people can equally enjoy their human rights.
We aim to realise this mission by:
- Connecting a variety of stakeholders (people with disabilities of all ages, policymakers, care and technical professionals, industry researchers, educators) in Europe and beyond to collaborate adopting a human rights approach to assistive technology.
- Participating actively in the scientific, political, and cultural debate about the role of technology in creating more inclusive societies in Europe and worldwide.
- Promoting the collaboration of stakeholders to acknowledge responsibility for the development of quality AT service delivery frameworks and educational programmes.
- Fostering the integration of quality AT products, services and methodologies in European policy, practice, research, and education by producing context-specific information, coaching and training.
- Initiating projects to promote socially responsive and responsible research in the field of Αssistive Τechnology, aiming at removing barriers and enabling participation.
- Collecting and disseminating outcomes of European and international research and best practices in Αssistive Τechnology developments.
- Providing opportunities for access to quality information on Assistive Technology and its provision processes.
- Providing opportunities for participation in knowledge development and lifelong learning regarding the multifaceted aspects of technology and disability.
The core values of AAATE are:
Human-centredness: AAATE envisions a world where, Αssistive Τechnology, universal design and accessibility are significant enablers for people to claim and to realize their rights.
Inclusiveness: AAATE actively seeks to promote diversity and equal opportunity for all members and stakeholders in the field of Assistive technology, irrespective of social and cultural background, gender, age, sexual orientation, or cause of disability.
Social responsiveness: AAATE strives to respond to social challenges and to remove barriers to the empowering function of technology for individuals, communities, and inclusive societies.
Interdisciplinarity: AAATE values collaboration across disciplines, both within the Association, as well as across institutions and membership, actively seeking to build networks that exceed the European context.
Collaboration: AAATE strives to maintain open avenues of communication, collaboration, and engagement with the society at large, and other international umbrella organizations in particular, aiming to make a contribution to addressing global challenges.
Our Areas of Action
- To create awareness on assistive technology
- To promote research and development of assistive technology
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge within the field
- To disseminate information about assistive technology and related issues
Our main activities
- A major international conference – held every 2 years – on all aspects of assistive technology
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) on various topics
- “Technology and Disability”, the official Scientific Journal of AAATE
- Seminars, Workshops and Information events
- A regular Newsletter reserved to members, along with various networking services through the AAATE website
- A network of national contacts throughout Europe
- Co-operation on wider international level with key organisations in the field : Global Alliance of Assistive Technology Professional Organisations with RESNA (North America), RESJA (Japan), ARATA (Australia), RESKO (Korea) and TREATS
An Association Driven by its Members
The AAATE is a non-profit organisation. It is an organisation of and for its members and relies on their efforts to put its mission into practice. All individuals supporting the mission of the AAATE as reflected by the constitution can become members. The Board is elected by the members at the annual assembly.
If you support the vision and the mission of the association, join us!. You will be part of a growing interdisciplinary international network, and receive the particular benefits of membership (e.g. subscription to the AAATE Scientific Journal ; special rates for conferences, workshops, seminars etc. )