Moving faster forward towards. Accessible and Inclusive Public Transport for All
High level meeting in the pre-conference programme of the ICCHP-AAATE conference
Tuesday, 12.07.2022, Lecco, Italy. 14.00-18.30
Freedom of movement is a universal human right. The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities states that governments should facilitate the personal mobility of persons with disabilities in the manner and at the time of their choice, and at affordable cost. To enjoy personal mobility with the greatest possible independence ensures equity for all citizens. Furthermore, it enhances freedom of choice, and is a prerequisite for social and economic participation and inclusion.
The challenge is not to respond to the needs or rights of a specific group, but to consider how to provide services in a manner that ensures access to those economic and social opportunities for all citizens, regardless of their condition and their financial means.
This need coincides with the need to rethink transportation in the light of the ecological and economic crisis, as well as the digital transformation of society.
During the High-Level Meeting representatives of different European Associations and Authorities will discuss how to speed up the process leading to smart, green and accessible transportation for all.
The meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about the challenges and how these have been addressed in some parts of Europe, to listen to experts, and to discuss with a high-level panel representing different stakeholders.
The meeting will be preceded in the morning by a TRIPS Project workshop showcasing project results and co-design methodologies.
14.30 Welcome and opening
14.40 The challenge: experiences of travellers with disabilities – Alexandra König (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt / German Aerospace Center)
14.55 Innovation in public transport
- Technology: Waymap – Ethan Brooks (Waymap)
- Methods: Co-design in TRIPS – Elvia Vasconcelos (Technical University Eindhoven) & Laura Alčiauskaitė (European Network on Independent Living)
- Tools: The Mobility Divide Index – Cino Repetto (TBridge)
15.40 Presentation of the Lecco Declaration – Evert-Jan Hoogerwerf (AAATE)
15.55 Video message from Inmaculada Placencia-Porrero (European Commission
16.00 Coffee & Tea Break
16.30 Panel discussion:
– Moderator: José F. Papí (Founder & CEO of Etelätär Innovation)
- Mohamed Mezghani (Secretary General, International Association of Public Transport (UITP))
- Georgios Kouroupetroglou (President of the Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe (AAATE))
- Siobhan Long (Enable Ireland)
- Alireza Darvishy (GAATES Global Leadership Council)
- Andrea Canevazzi (AMAT-City of Milano)
- Paweł Engel (Centre for EU Transport Projects, Ministry of Infrastructure, Poland)
18.00 Signing of the Lecco Declaration
18.15 Closure and Aperitivo